Mid-December, rush of the end of the year, as much at the office as at home. The pressure of psychological deadlines is intense at this moment: everyone wants to deliver for the end of the week, the month, the quarter, the year, or in December, everything happens the same day !!! Then in January, after feasting, it will be time for good resolutions: start workout again, take time for your family, improve your diet …
Today I propose to apply some lean concepts to your personal life, to yourself, and to your processes. We know it’s important because we apply it every day: engaged employees are more productive and their health is better. Since you are taking time to improve the work of others, now is the time to think about you …
5S of my kitchen, my wardrobe, my Facebook friends, my free time
You know the 5S by heart (otherwise, it’s here). They are simple to apply on material:
- Do you really need to keep the Kouglof mold that your grandmother gave you 15 years ago, when you do not like grapes?
- And those pants that will maybe fit you one day, when flowers will be back in fashion …
On concepts, such as time, the 5S are more complex to apply, but demonstrate all their power:
- What leisure time do you have each week, and what do you use it for?
- How many newsletters do you receive, how much do you read?
- How many Facebook contacts do you have, how many news feeds do you follow?
The sort stage is crucial to save time, always with the principle “do I really need it …” here are some examples of questions to ask yourself:
- If I had to live on a desert island, what would I bring …
- If I had 3 months to live, what would I do with my time …
Who is my client?
Operational excellence creates value for the customer, but when we work for yourself, who is our customer? Our supplier ? My body, my brain? How to improve the performance of my body?
It’s the brain that decides what to eat. We all know that good eating habits improve our health. But do we really listen to our client, when he tells us that he is no longer hungry, that we have eaten too much sugar? How to get back to listening to this client and improve his working conditions, and therefore that of the supplier, the brain? Standards, like fixed-hour meals, can help you, but you must first listen to the Customer’s Voice. With the trend of Quantified Self, many smartphone apps can help you document, measure and analyze your lifestyle.
Then all lean tools can be used to find root causes, QQOQCP, Pareto, cause-effect diagram, or just this 5 Why:
- Why am I falling asleep after dinner? I ate too much, did not take my coffee.
- Why did I not have my coffee? I limit myself to three per day so as not to have a stomach ache.
- Why would I want more than three coffees a day? I need sleep.
- Why am I lacking sleep? I have too many things to do.
- Why do I have too many things to do? I have not done the 5S of my free time in recent years …
Like any lean project, there is a lot of work to be done, and it is possible to start in different ways … a 5S to convince oneself, a diagnosis of the situation, mapping of one of your processes, of your own value chain … How are you leaving 2017?